The thought of furthering your education can be overwhelming. If you are looking for answers and clarity on what exactly distance learning entails, then look no further. We will help you understand distance learning better, tell you what it entails and show you what distance learning courses you can study and where you can study them.
Distance learning, otherwise known as home study or correspondence learning, has become a major industry over the past two decades. The reasons for this are all related to either economic changes or advances in modern technology.
Just like its name suggests, distance learning means that you’re “learning over a distance”, in other words, by means of correspondence learning or home study. You have complete freedom as you are not bound by time rosters or class attendance. You receive your study material either via post or electronically. You can complete your assigned tasks in your own time. You therefore have the choice of studying when and where it suits you best.
Why is distance learning popular?
When we think about the economic changes that have taken place over the past couple of decades, we’ll notice the following:
* Not many people have the luxury of being full-time students while someone else supports their lifestyle;
* People are finding it harder to finance their studies when they don’t have a steady income;
* More and more people are choosing to keep a day job instead of becoming a student simply because they cannot lose their income;
* Tuition fees have become very expensive;
* Travelling and accommodation costs with regards to studying have become extremely expensive;
* People have less time and they don’t want to waste a single moment in their busy lives;
* As the job market is becoming such a competitive arena, people are finding that they need to have better qualifications than their competitors to stand out from the rest;
* Promotions are often granted on the grounds of academic qualification, which means that professionals are experiencing the need to further their education whilst performing their daily duties.
Go have a look at the advantages and disadvantages to help you decide whether distance learning is for you.